Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Professional development on the couch (not usually in my PJ's!) - Activity 14

I found 2 great sessions at the 2012 k12 online conference, both on flipping a classroom.  I chose them because I definitely want to do some flipped classes next year. The first one I watched was entitled The Flipped Class for Administrators by Jon Bergmann and the second was Sreencasting 101.  Even though the flipped session was listed for administrators, I thought it would have some tips for me and it did.  The major question he posed was "What is the best use of face-to-face time with students?" -which he states is  for active engaged learning not lecture.  He also talks about myths of flipping.  One of the myths was that flipping is all about the videos.  He says no! It's not about the videos, it's what you have time to do in the classroom.  I really liked this because I want to do more labs and activities with my students.  I also liked that he was a chemistry teacher!



The second video I watched was about screencasting by Laura Constantini.  She gives 7 reasons why to record and share a video (like saves repeating insturction and students can learn at their own pace).  She then describes several programs you can use to do your own screencasting and gives tips for making a good screencast (like put the dog outside and have a plan!).  I thought the information was helpful and I hope use information from both.  These professional development tools online for free are great and its almost pajama time!




4 comments:

  1. You did an amazing job sharing the essential questions from your videos and giving concrete examples for what was helpful from each!I like how you shared some mythbusters regarding flipping the classroom, especially because I appreciate your passion for implementing more active learning through labs and demos in your already rock'n Chemistry class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at "flipped classrooms" for the next activity (getting ahead as I'm going out of town) and I appreciated the link you gave to this video to further enhance my understanding. I'm not sure I'm going to videotape my verbal instruction to students, but I love the concept of critically evaluating my face-time with students to see if I am using this time effectively to engage them in higher-order thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job in pointing out the myth. That's a biggie. People focus on the video, the gift is time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this topic -- I wonder how much homework... and what type of direct-instruction (is it actually video lectures or is it reading?) that there is in this class since he flipped it. At first, I wondered how they accommodated students who need to ask for help or be held accountable for that lecture. But since the teacher said that he does talk with students everyday and students are not allowed to move on without mastery, it sounds like students collaborating helped answer questions, as well. I am going to look this guy up.

    ReplyDelete